Friday, January 29, 2010

Internship

I am fully 3 weeks and 120 hours into my internship (with 40 hours direct). I have 13 weeks and 480 hours (including 200 direct) to go. No big deal. Well it wouldn’t be a huge deal if it wasn’t the middle of winter and we weren’t expecting a foot of snow tomorrow. Now school will be closed most of the next week. This sucks because I have to get to 600 hours no matter if we miss 2 weeks of school or not, so snow really delays my progress. I don’t want to have to go far into May to complete my hours because I have a job starting the 2nd week of May at my practicum site doing SOL test prep. The only thing I could do is finish up my hours at my new job since it is in a middle school. We’ll see. This is all very annoying but everyone will be in the same boat as me so it’s not the end of the world. I’m trying to relax and let it go. Snow is fun for a day but we already had snow 6 weeks ago. I like being able to drive, thank you.

As for the actual internship work, it overall has been great. Some days there is not a whole lot for me to do, but I love the people and I love working with kids. It has been an emotional adjustment hearing what these kids go through and having to call CPS and do risk assessments but each week is a little easier. I also am getting used to both my supervisors so co-counseling is getting better as well. I really believe this job is the best fit for me because I can use my social/people skills and my organizational skills. I also am very efficient so I get work done fast. I am thinking middle school will be the level I most desire to work in, but there is something I like about all levels. This job is especially exciting since I am trained to counsel k-12 but it is so different at each level. I don’t think I will ever get bored because I can always switch it up. I love education and schools and think I can make a difference. It will be nice to get paid to do it though☺.
Post a Comment