Monday, October 4, 2010

House Hunter

It's a big step, but ever since I moved into my new townhouse and gotten my first job (and realized how much money you can save if you watch what you spend), I have become obsessed with buying a house. I want to own a home in the summer of 2012. So that gives me 2 years to save. Right now, I am saving about 40-50% of what I make (having ridiculously cheap rent and a side job makes saving very easy), so I hope to be able to put a down payment of 20% on a $200,000 house.

The most fun part about buying a house is THINKING about where I want to live and what kind of house I want! I definitely do not want anything big. Nor do I want a big yard or big land. So that basically means that I want to buy a townhouse, a house that is connected to the houses next to it (it's like a townhouse but bigger and designed more like a house), or just a small house on small land. I am thinking a 3-bedroom, 2-bath house with garage OR a 2-bedroom, 2-bath condo. But I also have to think- do I want an old house or a new house? I originally thought I wanted a new house in a new neighborhood, but something about older neighborhoods with more trees brings me a cozy feeling, probably since that what I grew up living in. But older houses have older plumbing and older structures which brings their own set of problems.

Part of THINKING about where and what I want is EXPLORING websites and neighborhoods! I find great deals all the time- this housing market is just fabulous for buyers (literally there are tons of options from $180,000- 200,000).

How cute is this house for $179,000?


I am bummed I could not afford a house sooner to qualify for the $8,000 tax credit, so I am just hoping that the market doesn't bounce back too much in the next 2 years. Obviously, where I live will depend on my job situation and other life factors, but this is a big goal that I am excited to start planning for.

First off, though, I am spending my first few months of savings on LASIK!!!! I have wanted it for years, can officially afford it, and have a consultation in November. Bye-bye contacts and glasses. Hello, new life (and soon to be new house)!

Post a Comment