Saturday, February 12, 2011

My Valentines

It amazes me the power that friends can have on you. Friends are the family that we choose for ourselves (cue "Grey's Anatomy" line), so they often mean more to us than people we are only related to by blood. Friends are what make life fun. If it was just us or just our immediate family that we spent all of our time with, no matter what we were doing, it wouldn't be as much fun. I have been thinking this past week about what it is that I really want out of life. What is my ultimate goal or wish? Is it a certain job, travel, money, or family?  I couldn't help but think that it isn't something or someone: instead it is some people. Not necessarily romantic companions but people to share it all with; the ups and downs, the excitement, the worry, the fear, the difficulty and the successes. It all should not be tackled alone. No matter what you do can be made fun or special with those people beside you who make it something more than it would be by yourself. I am lucky that many people in my life can do that.

I had a rough week this past week where nothing was going my way at work or outside of it. I was not my normal self and just feeling down. Then a card came in the mail when I got home from work on Friday from a dear college friend. It couldn't have come at a better time.

 (Whale you be my valentine?)

I'll admit it- I cried. It brought two things to my mind. First, I really need to remember to send more cards. In a day and age of instant electronic communication, I think we forget the power that a simple card can have on someone (case in point- me). Second, it is so easy for us as people to want something else rather than appreciating what is right in front of us. Our friends are right there- day after day they are just a phone call away. And while we don't see them all the time, it is comforting to know that they are just a phone call, plane ride, email, IM or card away.

My friends, all of you, are magnificent people who touch the lives of many, including me. I am lucky to know each and everyone of you. Because I think that true love, true soul mates, are those that grow up with you and stick by you and are your partners in crime even when all the complexities and distances of life get in the way. They are who you know at seven and seventy-seven, some for only a short while and some for your whole life, some to help you through one part and others to stand by you through it all. You may not live with them or know them your whole life, you may not gaze into each other's eyes and share romantic moments and feelings (though that could be argued), but the love you have for your friends can often be the most intimate kind, because it is truly non-binding and without expectations: one done out of pure choice and love.

I love my friends. I look forward to a life with them. They are my constant and true valentines.


And thank you Stephanie for my amazing (and inspirational) valentine's card!
Post a Comment