Monday, April 11, 2011

Social Restlessness

I had one of those weekends where all my roommates were out of town and all my friends were busy. I enjoyed it for half a day and then panic set in…
 
I NEED SOMEONE TO TALK TO!
 
Now, as you know, I am one of those people that doesn’t like to be too busy or too not-busy. Ideally, I would like half of each weekend day to myself and then half with friends/family doing something. Friday night was fine- I went happy hour bowling with my coworkers, which ended around 5:30. Then I ran some errands to the grocery store and settled in for a movie. I would have liked to go out (which is rare on a Friday- I tend to die early after a long week) if I lived closer to where I wanted to go, but I was feeling too lazy to drive. So I went to bed at 11. Holler.
 
Some 10 hours of luxurious sleep later, I woke up. It was chilly but a perfect day for a run. Since I didn’t have much to do, I ran 6.5 miles. It felt good. After a shower and lunch, I settled in for some Netflix free-trial-love to watch LOST. At about 3 pm I started to go stir crazy. I had to get out and be with civilization. I ran errands (Garden Ridge is my new happy place) and then met my parents for dinner. They were the only people I talked to all day, so we had a long meal at Panera.  After dinner I went to Target and then went home to love on my Netflix some more, this time for a movie. I was in bed again by 11.
 
Another 10 hours later, I had the same type of morning. I ran. I showered. I watched a movie on TV while doing laundry. I then went to my parent’s house for the afternoon and did a dog walk. We had dinner and watched the Masters. I got home at about 7 and then my roommates came home. Yay! People to talk to!
 
To some of you this might sound like an ideal weekend- nothing much going on, time for some good workouts and R&R. I agree- part of it was ideal. But I am the type of person who can’t be alone doing my own thing all the time. I need social outlets- I need to talk to people, meet up for a meal or an event, do SOMETHING. I don’t need to be doing doing doing all the time, but I can’t be doing nothing at all either. It’s also not necessarily what I am doing, but it’s about doing it with someone. Even if a roommate had been home to hang out with, I think I would have been ok because I would have had a social outlet. Especially when my weeks are so busy, I have a hard time winding down on the weekend.
 
So my question to you- what do you do when you’re getting socially antsy? I have friends who can be holed up in their house for days without leaving and not think twice, but I am not one of those people. Thoughts or tips? Would this have been an ideal weekend for you?
Post a Comment