Monday, May 2, 2011

It's All Relative

Sometimes you just have to laugh at your life.

Today I was home after soccer practice and the gym, and I was discussing with my roommates the most stressful parts of our lives right now. This is how the conversation went...

  • Me: It says something about my life when the most stressful part of my day is deciding when to shower and what to do with my hair.
  • Roomie: I totally agree! Lots of things to consider- will I wear my hair curly if I shower now or will I straighten it? If I shower my body but not my hair, what will I do with my hair in the morning? I totally get it.
  • Me: It's just that showers don't fit into your day- like when I go to the gym after work I have to think about if I have to completely shower and redo my hair and makeup for the evening and how much time I need to do that and if I have time and if I need to bring things with me to work to use after a shower when I go straight there and then out or to a soccer game...
  • Roomie: Ya, and if you swim (since I go swimming with an after school program), you need to think about what you're doing with your hair the day before and after, because you don't want to waste good time straightening it when it's just gonna get wet the next day.
  • Other roomie from another room: I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS CONVERSATION!
  • Me: I feel like when we are 40 with kids, husbands and jobs, we are going to hate ourselves right now.
  • Roomie: No, it's all relative. 
  • Me: But it's also kind of sad.

It is true that stress is relative- in school it was stress about grades and your future, when you have kids it's stress about them and your family, but I feel I am at an interesting place in my life now- it literally is all about me- my work, my job, my health, my fun. It makes mundane things take over because nothing bigger is distracting me from them, which when looking at the bigger picture is quite sad. But I am enjoying this part of my life for now. This past weekend visiting Charlottesville for the Foxfield Races was a great reunion with college friends, reminding me of that part of my life and to enjoy my age and place. My friends are awesome and I have the luxury to do what I want with my life. I could move in a heartbeat, drop everything and travel, go to happy hours every night, or spend a day doing nothing and no one would care or judge me. I have no big worries- I have a job, my health, a place to live and great people around me. I am enjoying being young and my relatively stress-free life because I know it won't always be that way.

And I think most women would agree- showering IS a process!
Post a Comment