Friday, May 20, 2011

Warning: Obession Conversations are Long

I typically do not talk about my shows on here. It was one of my internal stipulations when I revamped this blog- I would stay away from my delight in quoting song lyrics and my obsession with certain TV shows. I could talk about movies occasionally (which I do) as an aspect of something I did, but sometimes talking about entertainment isolates certain people because they either don’t know about what you’re talking about or more than likely don’t care. So I try to stay away from it. However, certain times of year I just can’t. Usually that is during the fall TV Premiere Season and the spring TV Finale Season. It’s literally like my Christmas. I get excited, can’t sleep, and stalk websites online to find out any information I can (equivalent of stalking stores for deals or new products). I try not to seek out spoilers (aka finding out what is going to happen in advanced) but I like to kind of know what is going happen. At least know enough to satisfy my yearning but still keep me surprised. I learned years ago while obsessing over my first TV obsession (The X Files) that sometimes you really don’t want to know everything in advance. Being spoiled ruins the surprises, but being completely in the dark is not an option for this entertainment junky.

Anyways, my point is that big things have been happening on my shows. Currently, I watch three shows (I get too invested in TV to watch anymore than that- I would go nuts and have even less of a life than I currently do- because when I say watch, I mean I will make plans around these shows)- Glee, Bones, and Parenthood. I casually watch Dancing with the Stars, American Idol and Grey’s Anatomy (when I say casual it means I watch it if I am not doing anything when it is on, but I don’t go out of my way to see it). I want to watch Castle, Modern Family, and Fringe, so I still read information on those shows to be kept in somewhat of a loop (summer goal: to watch the entire series thus far of all three of those shows- thank you huluPlus and summer vacations for making my life so productive). So I think I am not overly extended in my viewings, yet.

I have only truly been obsessed with 2 ½ shows my whole life. The two are The X Files and Bones and the half is LOST. The X Files and Bones bring out a feeling like no other- butterflies, euphoria, obsession, stalk-age of stars, online pursuit of spoilers and an obscene knowledge of quotes, episode titles, continuity issues and series details. I got into Lost a little late in the game (season 4 of 6) and never really caught up myself up with the true level of maddening obsession that I had for the other two shows. Same goes for Friends and Sex and the City- I know quotes and series details, but I was too young when they came out to really obsess. I still LOVE them though! A true obsession, though, is a harder thing to come by.

What I have found in shows that I am obsessed with is UST. Unresolved Sexual Tension. I can’t get enough. Two characters that should get together but don’t yet or aren’t makes for some great TV moments. The love is not thrown in your face but implied and cultured and grown and challenged and you as a viewer have to earn those moments. The touch of a hand, a kiss on the cheek, a look or an argument all are more exciting to you than anything else. And obviously since the two shows I am obsessed with have a male and female lead with opposite personalities solving crimes, I obviously love the combination. I think the murder and mayhem is a great backdrop for the relationships and character development. I don’t want a whole show focused solely on either- I want a mix.

The issue comes, though, when the “Moonlighting Curse” is mentioned. If the two leads get together, will the show die? This happened to Moonlighting back in the 80’s and shows have been afraid to repeat it since. But I disagree with the curse- that show died because the two actors off screen wanted to leave and the writing got sloppy. Good writing and good stories can keep going with people getting together. It’s not like the two characters all the sudden will be all over each other- they are still themselves- but it will give fans satisfaction and keep the shows from becoming stagnant. Relationships evolve and change so our shows should too. I don’t want a show in it’s 6th season to be like it was in the 1st- that is not realistic. And if you you don’t give the fans what they want they will become frustrated and run away in droves. Character development can’t stop just to keep two people apart.

So why am I talking about this? Well, I have mixed feeling about my two shows. The X Files didn’t do a great job of putting the two leads together- it was a cop out with David Duchovny leaving (great, have him leave and then SAY they are together!) and the fans not being given enough satisfaction to even hear a conversation or kiss for a long time. It could have been handled better. Yes, I wanted them together- but I think the way it was done was poor. Now, I am not going to spoil Bones for those of you that watch and haven’t seen last nights yet, but big things happened during the season finale. And I am excitedly mixed about it. I obviously want them to be more than friends (even the implications of them doing anything in last weeks episode got me so excited- especially the linking of arms at the end! OMG) but I don’t know how I want it done. I do have faith in the writers and them taking the big leap they did- it will certainly change the show and is not an unseen change…it has been part of the character for years- but part of me is like, why didn’t you do this a year ago?! Booth professed his love last year and she turned him away, breaking his heart. Sure, she still needed to figure herself out and had a lot of growth this season, but I feel if should have been done sooner and that something got lost in the meantime. I am excited for what will happen because I think a change was needed, but I am hoping it turns out better and fans are given more satisfaction than it did on The X Files.

But I also know that these are just shows and that life, like TV, is messy and complicated and doesn’t always go the way we planned or hoped. Being a fan of a show is like being a fan of a football team- ups and downs, disappointments and triumph, shock and awe, obsession then anger, and you’re always a step away from giving up. But to me, I can’t give up on my TV shows because I love these characters too much. And once I reach obsession level, it’s hard to back down!

I also know I should probably get a life:).
Post a Comment