Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Exercisers' Curse

I have worked out consistently since I was little. I always played sports, and once sports ended, I started going to the gym. Now I run, go to the gym and play soccer & tennis. It is part of my life- it keeps me sane and makes me feel good. What is hard, though, is when I can't exercise for some reason. And this is when being a consistent exerciser becomes annoying. I hate when I am on vacation or have a busy week and just can't get to the gym and then I feel guilty and gross. Most normal people do not complain about not having to exercise, but for the consistent exerciser, the curse of guilt ensues.

It is something I least enjoy about being active, because while I love working out and having it be a part of my life, I hate the guilt and mind games (and preoccupation) that come when I can't exercise or when I am on vacation and just want to relax. It is very hard to wrap my mind around the fact that I can't work out like I normally do sometimes for extended periods of time. Luckily, since I run now, I can do that just about everywhere, but sometimes weather and time do not cooperate.

So to those of you who tell us "exercisers" to relax and just get over it- I say I wish I could. It truly is the curse of the exerciser. But I guess it is better than never feeling to urge to exercise at all.
Post a Comment