Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Property Virgin

Another milestone of my life was reached today- I went on my first house hunting showcase! I am pretty positive that I will buy a place between now and next June, and I have been looking online and around the fan all summer at condos. I have been eying the trends, the prices, and the types of places going on (and off) the market. It has been fun to look and plan (you know I love planning)!

I looked at four places today. It was definitely nice to actually be visiting the places as opposed to just looking at pictures online, and it makes a huge difference- places I thought I loved I realized I didn't and places I hadn't given much thought to I realized I really liked. I felt like I was in an episode of house hunters! I don't have many deal breakers in buying a place like some of those people (besides bugs or holes in things), though. I know where I want to live, and to me, location is more important than what the place is actually like. I do have a wish list though: a porch, washer/dryer in unit, close to 1000 sq/ft, two bedrooms, and at least 5 rooms. I don't need granite counter tops, wood floors and a fresh coat of paint (many of those things, with the right price, I can do myself later). The perfect place is really never perfect, so I am not so set in my ways as to not budge on some things (porch...tear).

What I am finding while thinking about where I want to live, though, is that people can ultimately live any place and they mostly live the same. You go to work, eat, sleep, socialize and hang out. Does it really matter where that is or what it looks like? Yes and no. I know I could never live in a dump (by choice) just for the heck of it, but I know that my home is what I make of it and it's all about perspective. You can make yourself happy if you choose to be. It all goes back to that 'wanting what you have' thing. So I am taking the approach of condo hunting casually and not as a life and death situation. If I find a great deal or a place that I really want, I should take it. If I don't, I know I will be ok where I am or holding off for a while.

After all, sometimes looking and thinking about something is the most fun part.
Post a Comment