Thursday, January 26, 2012

When you know, you know.

I did it. I bought a place! It's a lot like finding "the one" (I assume). This email I sent to friends two days ago will fill you in on everything (excuse my grammar- I was in a rush!).

Hello, friends!

So for those of you who don't know...I BOUGHT A CONDO! If you have spoken with me the past 8 months, you know that I have been looking and going back and forth on if I should/shouldn't. I moved to the fan in Richmond (downtown, hip/young area for those of you who don't know the area) in June as a step towards buying, because I wanted to get more of an idea on where I wanted to live. Well, I LOVE living in the city and decided I definitely want to live in this area. Then it was- do I buy a house or condo, and, frankly, I always wanted a turn key condo because when have I ever done yard work or fixed anything around the house? Ummm, never, so that was a pretty easy decision. Let's not kid ourselves in thinking I will give up my TV time to do yard work. Not gonna happen. Where's the neighborhood kid to mow my lawn?

Luckily, the market has been very slow, so many places I have liked since I started looking in July have not sold. I initially wanted to live in the heart of the fan, but as time went on, I found I could get more for my money and could be in a quieter area (and could see myself more long-term) if I went slightly outside of it. Then around Christmas I decided I did not want to buy because I just didn't LOVE any one place. I LIKED a lot, but you have to LOVE your place to put that freakin' much money down (and people were scaring me- "What will you do if you get married?" (ummmm, move? or, crazy thought- he can live with me!), "What if you need to move?" (Ummm, I'll sell?), "This market is awful- buying a house is not what it used to be!" (neither are interest rates or prices!) Ect, ect, ect....(I've learned to not talk about big life choices with many other people....it can ruin your plans because EVERYONE has an opinion and theirs is RIGHT).

Then 3 weeks ago on a whim, I found my treasure while seaching on zillow (love it love it)! I LOVED this condo- it is smaller than what I was looking for (1 bedroom as opposed to two, but only slightly smaller square footage) but comes with so much more. It has a pool (crucial for my summers off and RARE in the city), a gym, courtyards, ample free parking (odd in the city), shared grills/patio space, doggie stands (if I ever decide to not be a cat lady anymore), 1 ½ baths, HUGE CLOSETS (omg it's insane), great washer dryer, stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, wood flooring and is the 2nd floor of 2 floors with NO SHARED WALLS (check plus+)! It also is in walking distance of two great shopping streets- Carytown and the Shoppes at Libby/Grove. I can still walk to bars and restaurants and the fan/museum district is only a mile away (so I am the perfect distance outside of it but close enough to it to have all the conveniences of it).

So I brought my parents back last weekend and they loved it. I loved it. It was set. But I needed to get the price down substantially, because I wanted to put 20% down. I put my first bid in on Sunday knowing they wouldn't accept it, they countered Monday, I recountered yesterday morning and they countered with their final offer yesterday afternoon (TOTALLY like House Hunters!). I accepted- their minimum was my maximum for the property, so it worked out perfectly!

I don't close for 60 days and still have to get the loan set up, but barring any crazy unforeseen circumstance, it's official (I signed my life away). 

Here is a link to the place- it doesn't show the half bath, washer/dryer or master bathroom but you get the gist. Also, the asking price is not what I got it for:)


Yay! I may be crazy...but it's only money, right?

Love,
Robyn

Post a Comment