Thursday, March 22, 2012

What I've Learned

I am coming up on the 4 year anniversary of my college graduation. That's right, I have almost (as of May) been out of college as long as I was in it and as long as I was in high school. I don't know how different I am being almost 22 versus almost 26 years old (frankly, much of me is still very much the same), but I have learned important lessons being in the "real world."
  1. Life IS still fun after college! I was never a huge partier, but I did it because it is what you do in college, and it was fun, but I don't miss it. I do like to let lose once in a while, but not in the extreme that you do in college. Give me a good dinner and movie and a good night's sleep over staying up until 2 AM at a crowded bar almost any night. The occasional night out is still enjoyable, though.
  2. While marriage is still not in the near future, I am better at being in relationships. Sure I still have work to do, but I am more comfortable with dating, with who I am and the type of person I am looking for. We'll see what the future holds.
  3. I have also learned, though, that life does not become better because of one thing (i.e. a job, relationship, house, ect). That I will be miserable or face the same difficult issues unless I deal and work with them regardless of what I try to add to my life to fix them. Issues can be covered up by exciting things, but to truly get rid of them, I have to work on myself deep down.
  4. Friends make life. I am so lucky to still be constantly meeting new people and forming new friendships. One of the many pluses of working in a high school is that there are 100+ faculty members and faculty changes happen every year, so I am always meeting new friends.
  5. Who you are friends with can be surprising. There are people I thought I would  stay close with forever that I lost touch with and those who I never thought I would speak to again that I do. Friends come and go, and like any relationships take a lot of work, but the important thing is to never count anyone automatically out or in your life. People can really surprise you.
  6. Where you live doesn't define success. In college so many of my friends went off to big cities and I felt that by me going back to Richmond, where I mostly grew up, something was wrong with me or I was missing out on something. I have since learned that it doesn't matter where you live- it's what you make of your life there. I live in a completely different area than I did growing up and due to my new circle of friends, do completely different things than I used to. I <3 the fan.
  7. I get bored easily. I LOVE being busy. I hate having a day with nothing planned or when work is slow or when I have nothing to do. Sitting around watching TV is not something I can do all the time. Yes, I love my leisurely time but to a certain extent. I am finding I enjoy being active and busy much more than I thought I did.
  8. I cannot live a meaningless existence. Going back to my favorite show Bones here, there is a quote in an episode that has resonated with me- 
Brennan: Why didn't I go with Sully? Sully is perfect. He invited me to sail around the South Seas in a beautiful yacht for a year. I mean, why would anyone turn that down?
 Gordon: In my opinion, you are unable to lead a purposeless life at this stage of your psycho-social development, which by the way is an issue you should address, because a certain amount of purposelessness is necessary to lead a full life.

      9. A walk/run on a gorgeous day can make almost everything perfect. 'Nuff said.
  1.  Life will never go as planned. I am still working on this one, but if anything the past 4 years (or even 4 days) have taught me, is that even when you do everything as you are supposed to, life has it's own way of surprising you. You need to let go and be ok with not having everything in your control. That's what makes life exciting (see- I can't even control the numbering system on this freakin' blog)!
So we shall see what the next 4 or 5 years bring, but I hope I will keep learning and living and just getting better at being true to myself and developing a better version of "me" in this crazy life.

Throwback to spring of 2006

Post a Comment