Friday, April 13, 2012

Lucky


It is easy to complain about things that have gone wrong or wishing you had something else or that something was different. Complaining is the easy part. It is harder to want nothing- to want what you have and realize how lucky each of us is in our own way. I was reminded of this the other day and have been especially reminded this week as I have had time to catch up with so many friends during my spring break.



I am lucky. I am lucky to be able to support myself; to have parents that are alive and well; to have an (almost) 92 year old grandmother; to have known my grandfather for 20 years and my other grandmother for 25; to have been to college; to have never been seriously sick or had a health issue; to have never lost a friend or family member at too young of an age; to have been to 18 weddings (with 6 coming up in the next 6 months) and only 2 funerals; to be able to travel and see the world and other cultures; to buy things I want and don't necessarily need; to have so many amazing friends; to be able to give back to my community; to know love; to know that even if I lost everything I owned right now, that I would be able to pull myself together and would be ok; to feel safe and secure.




I am lucky. Sometimes it isn't the easy feeling to have, but I think the secret to a life of happiness is realizing luck and good fortune more and that black cat crossing your path less...


...especially on this Friday the 13th.

Post a Comment