Thursday, June 21, 2012

10,000 Steps

I am always reading about new ways to be active and healthy. I found an article earlier this week about the #1 fitness tip a trainer would give to someone wanting to be in great shape. His tip? Walks 10,000 steps a day (equivalent to about 5 miles). I had always heard about this number but never thought that it was that essential to a fit lifestyle as long as you are active on a regular basis. Well, one of my PE teachers had a stash of pedometers that I borrowed, and I have been tracking my steps since last Thursday. What I have found is that is is very easy to get to 10,000 steps IF you work out. However, most days at work, I only walk 3,000 steps, so if I didn't exercise in the evenings, I would get no where near the magic number. Also, having something track how much I am walking does make me consciously get up and walk around more, so I think it is good for people to wear. Sometimes you don't realize how little or how much you are doing, so it is nice to keep in check.

Now I want to get even fancier and get one of these: http://www.fitbit.com/

Cool, right? It's nice to try something new for the summer when your normal routines are harder because of the heat (at least in Virginia). So I am focusing more on overall movement than killing myself at the butt crack of dawn to get my cool-ish run in!

And with that, my summer officially begins at 4 pm today! Year  two- CHECK. Can't wait for 8 weeks "off" even though I sure am keeping busy with other jobs this year!

Post a Comment