Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Sandy and Some Others

This is how Richmond, Virginia was affected by Sandy:

1. Schools were closed Monday and Tuesday
2. It rained. A lot.
3. It was slightly windy.
4. The local NBC news station freaked out about the storm for 4 days.
5. Stores ran out of bread and water.
6. I actually prepared by buying flashlights, getting a radio, and turning down my fridge/freezer and packing a cooler with ice and all my frozen foods in the freezer for the inevitable power outage.
7. A few hundred people lost power.
8. Barely any trees fell down.

This is how Richmond, Virginia was affected by three Severe Thunderstorms in June:

1. No schools were closed.
2. It rained. REAL HARD.
3. It was VERY WINDY.
4. The local NBC news station only freaked out for about a day each storm.
5. Stores were stocked.
6. I didn't prepare.
7. TONS of trees fell down and houses near where I live were destroyed.
8. THOUSANDS lost power. For days. Each time.

This is how Richmond, Virginia was affected by Hurricane Irene in August 2011:

1. Schools closed for one day.
2. It rained. A LOT A LOT.
3. It was EXTREMELY WINDY. For an entire day.
4. The local NBC news station freaked out for about 2 days.
5. Stores were out of bread and water.
6. I only prepared with alcohol and some candles.
7. Trees were everywhere. Like legit EVERYWHERE. Poor Monument Avenue and some cars outside my apartment.
8. Hundreds of thousands lost power (including me for 8 days)


Do you see a correlation? Seems the more Virginia freaks out, the less likely were are to be hit with anything bad. I am not complaining, but the anxiety an impending storm causes is something I could do without especially when nothing happens. I am fine with some days off work, but not to the extned of my sanity. Hurricane Irene was much worse for us, and since we aren't a big enough city, got much less media coverage.

That being said- thinking of my friends and family in NY and NJ!!
Post a Comment