Sunday, November 4, 2012

Brio

Last night a former coworker and I, who both now work in high schools, went out to eat at Brio Tuscan Grille. I realized that I did not blog much when I worked there because this blog began as I was ending my years as a waitress and beginning my career as a counselor. And what a shame that is, because my grad school years at Brio were a great time where I met my first group of friends in Richmond outside my high school buddies. So here I go:)!


I feel like my life as a waitress is a different part of me since it was a transitional period, but it was really a great time. I worked as a waitress in college during breaks at Cheeburger Cheeburger and at UVA Catering in college (that was more of a customer service job, but food/alcohol delivery and flirtation was essential in my duties), but most of my time as a waitress was at Brio in grad school. I always enjoyed waitressing because it was a very social job where I got paid to move around, talk with people and constantly stay busy doing something. I met a lot of great people during my two years waiting tables during grad school (May 2008 through August 2010). It completely paid for my grad school education and also allowed me to save during my studies. I also realized the key to enjoying waiting tables is when you do it PART TIME. My typical schedule was lunches Monday, Tuesday and Thursday (I had classes Monday through Wednesday night starting at 4), dinner on Friday (where I eventually became a "closer," meaning I would get the best section and hours) and Sunday brunch. All of my shifts, besides Friday and Sunday, were only 11-3, so I worked a total of 20ish hours a week and usually made somewhere around $300/week in tips. And as I said before, it was straight social hour. When I wasn't at a table, I was talking to a coworker while doing my work. A job TOTALLY made for me. I loved it.

Even now, I often think about how I do miss waiting tables. The corporate part of it sucked (contests and stupid rules) and the sidework blew, but the actual interactions with the customers and staff were great. I'll be the first person to tell you I never was a great upseller or knew every detail about the food or drinks (it was a joke that half the time I didn't know what I was serving), but I was very bubbly and easy to talk to, so I always did well. And I met some amazing people.

So here is a shout out to all my former Brio peeps! Even though I am done with waiting tables, I look back at it with a smile and great memories:) I especially enjoy coming back and visiting on the customer side!
Post a Comment