Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Stir

For those of you currently not in the dating game, or those of you in relationships that did not involve meeting over the world wide web, let me debrief you on the online dating world. As you have probably heard, there are a variety of online dating sites. Some are free and some are not. Some are religion based, some are known for "hook-ups," and some are pretty legit (I can think of 5 couples who have met online off the top of my head). I am privy to most of the online sites because I have friends who have used just about all of them at one point or another. However, a new phenomenon in the online dating world are the social events. On Match.com, these are called "Stir" events where once a month, Match rents out a bar or social room and invites members of a certain age to come out and mingle in REAL LIFE (crazy thought, right?!). I have only ever heard about these and never knew anyone to go to one (my friends met the old-fashioned, ya know, emailing way...), so I jumped at the chance last night to join my friend, who was working the door, at the event.

It was a trip. First off, Match totally segregates it's Stir events by age. This one was for the 35-45 age group, and some of the people were NOT please. You wouldn't believe the amount of people that came to the front table to ask where younger people were and how many older men stayed around chatting with my friend and I (she is my age). It was also a great place to people watch and see what the dating scene is like for people older than I. Some were uncomfortable and awkward, while you could tell some of the former "players" in the room. Most people were semi-decent looking, but no one stood out as being incredible hot or cute, which may or may not bode well for me as I age. I did try to help one guy mingle with two ladies I thought were cute, but he didn't seem very interested in my suggestions!

The highlight (or not) of my evening was an older man (circa 45, minimal hair) who would not leave us alone, leaving me his email and telling me I was what he 'was looking for." Good to know I attract the older men. I may have to have a sugar daddy one day if I can't ever find someone closer to my own age:) The Stir events may be the place to be for me!
Post a Comment