Friday, February 22, 2013

I can save your life...again!

This week and next, I have been going through my lifeguard certification for my summer job as an Assistant Pool Manager at a nearby country club. I have already been certified twice from when I was in high school, but since it has been so long, I have to go through the WHOLE class again. So I have class on Tuesday/Thursday's from 4:30-9 for two weeks with the potential for a Saturday class on March 2nd if we do not get through everything. I am the oldest in my class by far, with most other participants being 15 and 16 years old. The class is very easy since I have been trained before and much of it is common sense, so I am pretty much the instructors favorite person who she has demonstrate most techniques (and she will be my boss, so this is good). However, educators truly are the worst students, because I am secretly judging her the whole time thinking I could teach the class much better.

The funny thing about being surrounded by high school students is that I genuinely like them and feel like we really are not much different. We often break into groups to do saving techniques and back boarding practice, and I joke around and chat with them. We talk about school, sports, and life in general (Did you see 'The Bachelor' this week?! OMG! I know!). Most of them play soccer, so I am also bonding with them over their soccer tryout experiences since I am coaching. I seriously want to be their friend. This leaves me feeling a). creepy, because I am ten years older than them and could be their counselor if I worked at their school and b). childish, because WHY do I have SO much in COMMON with 15/16 year olds?! It just reiterates the fact that I feel like I am 17. I am going to be that sketchy old person that always hangs with young people. Crap!

Yup, this is equivalent to the age difference. See? Creepy.

My least favorite part of the class, though, is having to get in the water. Don't get me wrong, I love swimming and the pool (it is also great cross training for my half marathon), but I am always cold. Thirty minutes in the water and my skin is a raisin and I am shaking uncontrollably. I wish I could demonstrate my skills and immediately get out instead of watching/practicing. Or that we were doing it all in a hot tub. *Sigh*

One week down and one to go! Hopefully I don't end up in the news next week with all my underage friends!

BUSTED!
Post a Comment