Friday, May 17, 2013

Choices

“I wish there was a way to know you’re in the good old days before you’ve actually left them.” 

Trio of counselors!
I'm in a sappy mood today, so bear with me. 

I was never a regular viewer of "The Office," but I decided to watch the finale last night because I was in a sentimental mood. I thought the show made a great point of showing how conflicting people's feelings are towards their jobs, but how the experience, though it can be frustrating, boring, overwhelming, and exhausting, is also one full of love, laughter and great moments and memories.

I have had a lot of conflicting feelings this year regarding what my next step is in terms of my job. Do I want a different school? A different level? A different city/state? A different job entirely? My emotions range from "I can never come back here!" to "This isn't so bad" to "This is the best job ever!" I definitely am in a groove at work, have good relations with my coworkers (at least I think) and am easily able to get everything done (well) while also being able to explore new ideas and ways to do my job better (though I don't always strive for such an outcome). Some days are easier to get through than others, like it is with any job, but while I love my coworkers and my students, I also feel stifled and in a funk at work. I don't feel I have the freedom to truly be the best I can be and do not always agree with things I have to do. I also some days wonder what it exactly it is I want out of my job that would make me the happiest- maybe it's me and not my job? It has been a roller coaster.

Where am I going with all this? Clearly I am at a crossroad, but the episode of "The Office" reminded me that no matter what choice I make or what changes I make, I will be ok. I will be ok if I stay at my current job, and I would do well at a new job. Life is all about choices, and while they are hard to make, they will lead me down a path that will ultimately cause me to grow and learn and become a better person (hopefully). I will keep you updated.

Counselors and the best office manager ever:)!

"There's a lot of beauty in ordinary things. Isn't that kind of the point?"

Post a Comment