Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Intuitive Eating?

Since summer is a time where I can't really work on making running strides due to the heat and humidity (I have been consistent in my morning runs, but my distance is typically only 3-4 miles), I am going to work on "intuitive eating." I follow a lot of running blogs that talk about how they don't monitor so much what they eat in terms of calories and fat but more so listen to their bodies and stay in tune with what their stomachs are telling them. The main premise is you eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full regardless of what you are eating. Sounds so easy right? The hard part is re-learning when you are actually hungry and what a normal amount of fullness feels like. I thought this seemed like a good idea to practice in the summer since I am more active during this time of the year and since my cravings and food needs change with the heat and my activity level. This also as a way to to get more in tune with myself. Since there are more weddings, vacations and cookouts in the summer, eating healthy is not always easy, so if I challenge myself to listen to what my body is telling me, I should make better decisions.

Spaghetti squash with shrimp and spinach. Yum. I had this while visiting my friend Sarah in D.C. on Monday night.
I am hoping this intuitive eating will help me cook more and make meals based on what I want to eat and not necessarily what I have (thankfully, I have time in the summer to go to the grocery store daily...we'll see if that actually happens). I work many evenings at the pool, but I have the options of healthy salads and vegetables there if I can keep myself away from the fries! As for vacations- I am hoping to be able to cook while at the beach and listen to my body while I go out to eat.


So we shall see how this goes! And I promise it is legit- there are books about this method! Maybe if I get the hang of it I won't eat like I am a third world country starving child at weddings...perhaps only a child who hasn't eaten much that day:).

In the meantime, I will be at the pool getting rid of my lifeguard tan lines or watching "Boy Meets World" from 7-10 am every morning on ABC Family:) Summer break, anyone?
Post a Comment