Sunday, November 24, 2013

Why I almost (but didn't) get a smartphone.

I came very close today.

Too close.

My current cell phone is slowing down and my computer is aging. I was thinking that a smartphone was the answer. I could kill two birds with one stone. 

But I can't.

I was standing in the Verizon store ready to do it after looking at the newest iPhone. Then I started talking to the salesman. $199 for an upgrade with a two year contract...and an extra whopping $30 a month when I don't even come close to maximizing my current minutes or data on a 3-year-old slide phone.

It just makes no sense.

Why would I pay an extra $360 a year for a luxury that I do not need, already pay for at home, and more importantly, provides nothing to enhance my life? Sure I could kill time on my phone at work or at the store or while in traffic, but what I lose by doing all of that is the ability to live. To be alone with myself and my thoughts. Or, shockingly!- the ability to communicate with people when I am waiting around. 

Not having anything to do in specific times of waiting is no excuse to need a phone. I don't need cell phone games or apps or to be connected with the internet every second of my life. I can ask for directions. I can call someone to help me if I need a service. I can do math in my head. I can walk away from facebook, twitter or instagram for a few hours every day (or even a long weekend!) and be ok.

I just can't do it. I think it is a waste. I am happy typing right now on my laptop in the comfort of my own home. I don't need to bring technology with me everywhere. In fact, when I am away for a trip, I love the idea of having less connections with the "internet world."

Smarphones do not provide happiness or life-enhancement. This is a great quote from an article online:

"You need to build an ability to just be yourself and not be doing something. That's what the phones are taking away, is the ability to just sit there. That's being a person." 





I can call and I can text with my phone. And if I leave it at home for the day, my world is not shaken or even bothered very much.

I will just have to submit to the fact that it will be a long while before I can be included on group texts:)

Post a Comment