Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Polar Vortex > Running

Like most everywhere around the country, it has been a really cold winter.

I am being completely honest when I say that I do not remember a winter being this cold in years. It may be that I run outside much more than I used to so I am not as used to being outdoors as much during a cold winter, but it's ridiculous. I am all for winter as a season, but highs in the 20's and lows in the single digits is ridiculous. This is Virginia, after all.

Normally in VA, we get a random big snow storm that shuts down the city for a week, and then the next week it is in the 70's. Our weather is usually so up and down that relief is always in sight. I cannot remember experiencing so many days with highs under freezing in a row, and it not going away anytime soon. We missed four days of school last week due to 3ish inches that kept the VDOT workers busy since it never got above freezing, and we are getting more tonight that will likely shut down schools for the rest of the week. I love a good snow day, but let's spread it out a little! Oy vey.

This has all negatively affected my running. I hate running in the summer heat and humidity, and I hate running in the freezing cold. I registered for three races in December before the fees went up, so I really need to be running and it has not been fun. To show you how miserable I am, I ran 5 miles today on the treadmill. The dreaded treadmill that I hate and loath and would usually rather face the outdoors than subject myself to. Case in point: I ran in ice and snow two days last week in single digit temps over running on the treadmill....needless to say that got old. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do I guess!

I have a Sweetheart 8k on February 9th that should be a good, hilly route (and only my 3rd ever 8k), the Shamrock Half Marathon in Virginia Beach March 16th (we'll see what my training plan ends up being. I think I am going to do an 8, 10, and 12 miler as my long training runs, so a little more than the Richmond Half but not as much as my training last year), and the annual Monument 10k March 29th. I will look around closer to April and May to add more races to my list. I really wanted to do a Frostbite 15k in Richmond during MLK weekend, but San Francisco won over that obviously.

I am really lacking on the longer runs simply due to being uncomfortable outside in the cold temperatures, but I am hoping relief is in sight!

What are your cold weather workouts? What keeps you motivates with cold, dark days?

Here's to spring being less than 2 months away:)

Post a Comment