Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Side Effects of Marathon Training

I knew training for a marathon would be tough, but I didn't really know how my body would react (the good and the bad)! Here are some of the things I have noticed as I am about halfway to the big day.
  1. EXHAUSTION. I was mainly thinking about the Saturday long run days being the tiring days, but I am in a CONSTANT state of being tired. I honestly cannot remember a day where I actually felt rested. I am tired even if I get 8+ hours of sleep. Don't get me wrong, I have always slept a lot, but I have never felt this tired all the time. I could basically go to bed at 7 pm every night. I feel fine during my runs and typically in the mornings, but the afternoons and evenings are just energy suckers and I want the day to be over as soon as I get home from work or class (even if that is at 3 pm). I am such a morning person if there ever was one.
  2. Losing...and gaining. Soooo I don't weigh myself much, but I can tell ya that from my hips up I have slimmed (even in areas women do not care to!), but that my legs have taken on a whole new level of MUSCLENESS. Seriously, even long distance running doesn't slim my awesome thigh muscles. I don't think they will ever go away as easily as other parts of me seem to! I have only weighed myself once since I started training, and it is hard to find a good time to do it between the long runs and recovering. I do best weighing myself after about two days of recovery when my muscles have calmed down, which hasn't happened lately. Needless to say, I have definitely put on MUSCLE like woah. I will wait until the end to see what the final number is. I have also been measuring my thighs, hips and waist and the latter two have shrunk while the first has not! :)
  3. Hunger. Actually, this hasn't been as bad as I thought. Ya, I am hungry, but I am not as ravenous as I remember being when I first trained for a half marathon. I do eat many more whole foods than I used to, though, so that could be a big factor. That being said, I am surely eating plenty!
  4. Social Life. Yes, I am still social, but my weeks revolve heavily around my running, so I am either doing a run, recovering from one or preparing for one. It makes my socializing hours limited, but everyone has been so great and understanding and as long as I can plan ahead for when things are going on, I make it work. Spontaneity however is not my friend currently, and don;t get me started on weather interfering with my runs.
  5. Weather Woman. I stalk the weather each day to make sure I can fit in all my runs. Currently I am freaking out about a potential rain/snow maker on Saturday that will impact my 16-miler. I try not to worry too much about it, but I want to get my runs in (and after the rainy race this weekend, I am not wanting to run in cold rain or snow). Normally I am good at switching things around, but it is harder on long-run days because I block off my Saturday mornings for my runs. I want to be bff's with my local meteorologists. 
So far those are the main side effects. I am sore occasionally, but not as bad as I thought I would be- it's more of a stiffness. I also find that I do talk about training with friends/coworkers but only mention it briefly if people ask...I don't talk to EVERY PERSON I meet about my training plan, ect. I will gladly talk about it if it is brought up, though! We will see what more side effects will come in the next 8 weeks!

What were/are your side effects from training for a marathon (or half)?
Post a Comment