Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Worth

With a new year and new resolutions, I think this is always a good time to focus on why each and every one of us deserves all the goodness and happiness in life: for each of us to understand our own worth, regardless of circumstance, time of year, looks, intelligence or financial means.

I have been thinking about this for many reasons unrelated to the new year. First, I finished the podcast, "Serial" (which OMG YOU HAVE TO LISTEN TO IT IS AMAZING AND I WANT TO TALK TO MORE PEOPLE ABOUT IT!), which for those of you who haven't seen it, is about a teenage girl's murder and the man who was convicted and all the discrepancies related to his conviction. This brought up questions not only about if he was wrongfully convicted, but how he has lived his life in prison when he (seemingly) is innocent (maybe) and how his outlook has rationalized his life and what people think of him- mainly his family, church and other prisoners.

Secondly, I have been watching Netflix like NO OTHER. And I am watching some awesome shows that are no longer on because I don't like watching new things when I know I LOVE the older stuff (gosh, this Netflix/roku business is changing my life...goodbye cable!), and I have been so impressed with the take charge actions of the females characters and how they don't apologize for anything. It sounds silly, but they reinforce the notion of being true to who you are and knowing your self-worth and value. I really identify with movie or TV episodes/shows that connect with me on emotional levels about life and situations. There are a few episodes that stand out for me- maybe someday I will compose them into a post about why:)

Thirdly, I think great friends are those who make you realize what you are worth. They take you for who you are, let you talk about the deeper things in life, show you things you hadn't thought of before, reinforce your strengths and help you improve upon your weaknesses. Over break I missed so many of my Richmond friends, but I loved getting to see my out-of-town friends, who always help life seem a bit brighter and more fun! I am thankful for all of them and how they help me be a better person.

Running always makes me think of my self worth. Mainly when I get "in the zone" and have some awesome jams on my iPod, like One Direction...There is nothing like a good run to get your confidence up!

Finally, dating...ahh. I don't talk about it much because this blog ain't my whole life (minus the whole running, reading, friends, food and traveling part), but one thing I take away from dating is really valuing your worth. It is SO important not to be ashamed of who YOU are- your quirks, your flaws, your preferences, and what you do and do not deserve. It can be hard to stand up for yourself when you are unsure of someone else's thoughts/feelings and worry you will ruin something or make someone not like you, but you need to value you. If something feels wrong, it probably is. If someone is pissing you off, tell them. Stand up for yourself. If they are right for you, they will value what you have to say. Remember, DO YOU. Know your worth. It can be hard at times, but makes all the difference.

*I also had to get my garbage disposal fixed today after I put too many potato peels in at once on Sunday when I cooked a million sweet potatoes. I know my worth is clearly NOT related to home improvements or any of the construction trades.*

In case you care, the white pipe coming from my disposal is what was clogged up with potatoes!

And then a great quote to sum up the New Year, resolutions and worth- because happiness RIGHT NOW is key to being your best self. Always.

For a long time, it had seemed to me that life was about to begin- real life. But there 
was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, 
some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life."

-Aldred D. Souza

This was a hodgepodge of a post...I blame it being the first week back to work!

Do you think you know your worth? What are areas of your life that reinforce your views on yourself? HAVE YOU LISTENED TO SERIAL?! THEORIES?
Post a Comment