Sunday, February 22, 2015

Shamrock Marathon Training Week 12

The cold temperatures and snow affected my training this week- mainly in that I had to adjust running days and my pace was WAY slower due to avoiding ice and my muscles feeling stiff. Next week looks better (thank goodness)! We really lucked out with the (winter) weather so far this winter, so I am thankful it came during a drop back week towards the end of training. Hopefully this was it!

Monday: 5 miles @ 9:44 (abs). I knew a big storm was coming so I ran in case the rest of the week was a bust. I was still stiff from 19 on Saturday, so I was slow but I felt much better afterwards.

Tuesday: 2.5 mile walk + 30 minutes elliptical (weights). SNOW DAY! Walking in the snow to lunch was no joke!

THIS IS WHY NO RUNNING HAPPENED TUESDAY!
Wednesday: 9 miles @ 9: 49 (abs). I dodged ice and snow all on this run. At some points I had to slow WAY down to not fall. I was just glad I go it in. My area does not clean up well after a snow storm (hello, Virginia).

My white puffy vest is now my cold weather running staple.
Thursday: 4 miles on treadmill (weights). Icy and FREEZING outside. Below zero wind chills. I find that if I go slow on a treadmill I can tolerate it more, but I don't pay attention to my speed since it is so different from my pace outside (like a full minute slower feels the same effort).

Friday: Off! Still made sure to get in my 10,000 steps (abs)

Snow a few days after the storm at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts...aka Happy Hour time!!!
Saturday: 14 miles @ 9:30. It was about 15 degrees the whole run with a slight breeze. We ran 12 outside and then I added in a 2 mile warm down because my body was SO COLD. My friend and I commented that we never got into a groove during this run because of how cold it was. Thankfully it was a lower mileage day! My hip felt ok the whole time but still is something I am watching.

I deserve Funfetti Cake after a long run...I ATE IT ALL!
My afternoon spot watching Boyhood with Tony Romo. Weather sucked. I loved the movie!

Sunday: 3.2 mile shakeout @ 9:22 (weights)

Totals: 35.2 miles

Four weeks from today! I am definitely ready to get this big week behind me (40 miles!) and then rest up for the big day. I also have some ideas for a half marathon in April! Half marathons sound so great right about now...


What is your favorite distance to train for?

Post a Comment