Sunday, March 1, 2015

Shamrock Marathon Training Week 13

It's officially TAPER TIME! Biggest week of training is done- yay! It was another cold week with some snowy weather, but I fit everything in!

Monday: 5 miles @ 9: 35 (abs)

Tuesday: 10 miles @ 9:24 (weights)

Wednesday: Rest! Still made sure to get in my 10,000 steps (abs)

Thursday: 5 miles on treadmill (weights). Snow day! I felt good on the treadmill...I must be getting used to it and it definitely helps to just go based on effort and not speed since I can't run as fast on it.

Outside my bedroom window Thursday morning:)

Snow day from work but PhD reading to do!
Friday: Rest and walking! Still made sure to get in my 10,000 steps (abs)

Saturday: 20 miles @ 9:37. Pace would have been faster but there was one 11 min/mile due to dodging ice on a bridge. My friend and I ran 16 with a training group and added on a little before and after to get our 20 in. It's still tough to go above 16, but my legs felt the best they have at that high of a distance. I will be able to run 6.2 more...right?! That seems a little crazy right now.

20 cold miles by 10:30 am!

Celebrated with a trip to Charlottesville to watch UVA beat Virginia Tech!
Sunday: 2 miles run + 1.5 walking recovery on treadmill (weights)

Totals: 42 miles!

I know that my max training week being at 42 miles is low for a lot of marathoners, but I feel that my body can't handle much more than that (before I started training I typically ran 15-20 miles per week, so this is over double that). I think I have been generally healthy (besides some hip pain) this training cycle, but I do sometimes feel I am pushing it. I would rather go into the marathon slightly undertrained and healthy than overtrained and injured. I honestly feel as trained as I can be at this point, though- now it's all up to the race day Gods! The flat course with no wind and temperatures above freezing sounds great! I think I definitely have built up weather tolerance from this training cycle!
Post a Comment