Thursday, May 28, 2015

Warning: Obsession Conversations Are Long, Part 2

So I wrote a post about how I tend to get obsessed with TV shows back in 2011. That full post is here and you should read it because I stand by what I said and think I said it fairly well. The gist of that post is below:

I have only truly been obsessed with 2 ½ shows my whole life. The two are The X Files and Bones and the half is LOST. The X Files and Bones bring out a feeling like no other- butterflies, euphoria, obsession, stalk-age of stars, online pursuit of spoilers and an obscene knowledge of quotes, episode titles, continuity issues and series details. I got into Lost a little late in the game (season 4 of 6) and never really caught up myself up with the true level of maddening obsession that I had for the other two shows. Same goes for Friends and Sex and the City- I know quotes and series details, but I was too young when they came out to really obsess. I still LOVE them though! A true obsession, though, is a harder thing to come by.

What I have found in shows that I am obsessed with is UST. Unresolved Sexual Tension. I can’t get enough. Two characters that should get together but don’t yet or aren’t makes for some great TV moments. The love is not thrown in your face but implied and cultured and grown and challenged and you as a viewer have to earn those moments. The touch of a hand, a kiss on the cheek, a look or an argument all are more exciting to you than anything else. And obviously since the two shows I am obsessed with have a male and female lead with opposite personalities solving crimes, I obviously love the combination. I think the murder and mayhem is a great backdrop for the relationships and character development. I don’t want a whole show focused solely on either- I want a mix.

The issue comes, though, when the “Moonlighting Curse” is mentioned. If the two leads get together, will the show die? This happened to Moonlighting back in the 80’s and shows have been afraid to repeat it since. But I disagree with the curse- that show died because the two actors off screen wanted to leave and the writing got sloppy. Good writing and good stories can keep going with people getting together. It’s not like the two characters all the sudden will be all over each other- they are still themselves- but it will give fans satisfaction and keep the shows from becoming stagnant. Relationships evolve and change so our shows should too. I don’t want a show in it’s 6th season to be like it was in the 1st- that is not realistic. And if you you don’t give the fans what they want they will become frustrated and run away in droves. Character development can’t stop just to keep two people apart.

(Then I go on to talk about my thoughts on The X Files and Bones when they got together...)

Anyways, I am revisiting this thought for a few reasons. The first point is that four years later, I still only connect with shows that have UST. I re-watched LOST again this winter, and the relationships and tension are what kept me the most intrigued. I can't get enough. The second that aspect is gone, I think all shows lose steam. I also haven't found a show with the same level of UST as The X Files or Bones EVER. The dynamic is so hard to come by, and I really miss that currently I am not really into any television shows (sorry Bones...I love you, but you need to end). It finally dawned on me that it was because I haven't found that level of chemistry since. Some shows have it in pieces, like Grey's Anatomy, Friends and Sex and the City, but it is not at the same level. I need that to make me fall in love and obsess over a show. I have tried watching so many other shows, like Mad Men, Parenthood, Friday Night Lights, and Revenge, and while they are good, none of them get me to that level of obsession and good 'feels' as the good ol' UST. I miss it.

This has also come up for me recently again, because, as you may know, The X Files is coming back this winter! I am excited and nervous about this revelation (seeing the stars onstage in this clip was enough to get me giddy), but with it has come a lot of retrospective viewing, interviews, podcasts, and new bloggers commenting on the show. It has brought all these wonderful 'feels' back, and I am reminded once again that I have not found another show like this (seriously,if you are a fan, check out this website. Hysterical). It's been fun.

So I guess there really is no point to this post except that you should read my original post and that I want some new UST-esque shows-> PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME FIND ONE! And that some feelings and obsessions never die. And I really do love good TV, and I hope to find a new show soon.

Comment away on any recommendations! I have already tried, Breaking Bad, thank you, and it is too violent. I like crime solving, but severe violence (a la Game of Thrones) is not my friend. And I don't like Scandal, sorry Shondaland.
Post a Comment