Friday, August 21, 2015

What I've Learned This Summer

The best way out is always through.
-Robert Frost

What good is life if we don't learn a little something along the way? Get ready for some of my ramblings:)

Let's face it: summers can be long (at least for me). It is filled with long days-> I feel like I am one of the few that hates how long it stays light in the summer-> and long working hours with 10 hours days and no students. It's ridiculously hot in Virginia and people are in and out of town. Activities are suspended, routines are off, and free time abounds. Travel is about the only good thing about the season, in my opinion!

I am not daft enough to know that I am lucky in all my travels, but that is what I have to do to stay sane. When I haven't been traveling, I have mostly been in a funk.  Even taking 3 weeks off and traveling on weekends has not been enough to make up for working during the weeks. 

I've learned this summer that working in schools in the summer is not my thing. It's not the working part that I don't like-> I have always worked in the summer-> it is being in a school without students and many staff members and having to work long days with little people interaction all while mainly staring at a computer. I am a people person at work if there ever was one.

Due to this, I have felt in a funk for a big part of this summer. Aside from traveling, which makes me feel great, happy and limitless, the times at home have been an emotional roller coaster. I realized that I can't be totally happy in my life when I am unhappy in work. I am better at it than I used to be, because I transitioned from the mindset of "live to work" to "working so I can live," but I hate not loving my job. Some people can- they can deal with work while they are there and completely push it off their minds when not there and not have it not affect their out of work life. I can't.

Office work in the summer leaves me anxious and restless when I get home. Marathon training has been a blessing (even though I hate the heat), because it has kept me very active and busy when my friends are out of town. But with no classes and friends in and out of town (and having babies-> that is another post) since the beginning of July, I have had a lot of free time. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people who can be content sitting at home watching TV or doing random projects. I need alone time to recharge for sure, but I don't need evenings and days of it over and over again. I feel the summer is filled with these long, endless days.

This was not my first summer working in my current job, but last summer it was still new so it didn't affect me like it has this summer. I do feel better after this week because teachers and orientation activities start next week (and VCU started), so the end is near, but I need to figure out how I will work through this next summer. Even if I like my job during the year, I cannot hate it for 3 months out of the year. That is not a good balance for me personally. 

So I am going to take this year to examine and explore some options for next summer/year. I turn the big 3-0 in June and can feel some big changes on the horizon. We will see:) I also really relate to this post, which has helped me turn my feelings of "have to" to "get to." Lots of very truthful feelings and mindsets there! That blogger definitely put some of my thoughts into her own words.

And so while I have no answers, I leave you with this picture, because the night I took this I was feeling really deep and wrote the quote below:

I have yet to ever have a day at work that tops experiencing a sunrise or sunset, exploring a new city or land, tasting new food, immersing myself in a new culture, meeting people outside my normal path, or living, seeing, breathing and feeling how big and wide and wonderful our world is. I know I am one of the lucky ones who can do this, yet I cannot ever see enough to be satisfied. I want to spend my whole life discovering this great world. 


What a beauty she is.

Enough of my rambling- anyone else NOT love the summer? Any tips for me?!


Post a Comment