Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Milo

If you know me or have read this blog, you know I am a cat lover. My boys, Milo and Romo, have made appearances numerous times.

Romo loved Milo, and Milo took the role of big brother pretty well:)
I got Milo in the spring of 1999 as a kitten. He was my dream cat- an orange tabby- and was named after the similar cat in the great movie "The Adventures of Milo and Otis." My family's cat Beanie had passed that February, and Milo was a welcome addition a few months later. He was the very first kitten we ever had, and we loved the energy he brought with him (but not that whole clawing the couch/climbing curtains thing...#webelieveindeclawing)! He was also our first boy cat, so we discovered what fun they are, which would eventually lead me to getting another boy cat 9 years later.

He quickly became friends with our dog, Ginger, and tormented our other cat, Mandy. His personality was nothing but fun and social from the beginning, and he was popular among friends and family. He even sucked his tail when he was a baby:) It was the cutest thing ever! I wish I had those pictures scanned.

Milo grew to be a very big boy (18 pounds- but I stand firm that he was big boned NOT fat) and never let go of his cool demeanor. He tolerated Romo when we got him, and always won the fights they would have. Though as he got older he definitely got grouchy, he was a snuggler, always let me pick him up, napped on my dad's lap every day, and always meowed loudly when I would sing to him (I think my pitch hurt his ears)! Though I think my parents didn't appreciate his 5 AM (even on weekends) wake-up calls for food or his preferences in seating areas (he was a GREAT seat stealer- warm spots were his favorite).

Our first cat to drink from the toilet...and he sadly isn't our last.
Chillin' in the tub...because, why not?
His last few years weren't as great- he developed diabetes that required twice-a-day shots- but he still never lost his personality. We didn't know what went into taking care of a cat with diabetes (it is a lot), and we were thankful that we were able to control it for the last 5 years. The vet had warned us that cats with diabetes don't typically like past 16 years, so we were always watching out for changes in his behavior. Sadly, just a month ago we noticed he was losing weight and discovered a tumor in his mouth. We were able to prepare ourselves and made sure the last few weeks were as comfortable as possible for him. Yesterday we found out that the tumor had broken his jaw and he no longer could eat. We made the decision to end his pain then, in a way I hope was the right choice, and one in which I wish we could offer to people:(. My mom and I got to spend some nice time with him to say goodbye before it was done.

Christmas 2014
Milo was 16 and a half years old and brought joy to out family and our friends. I never will probably have another cat with the same laid-back, social personality (nor one as big), and I will for sure never forget him. He is the 100% reason I became a cat person!

We will love and miss you, Milo, and we hope you are now pain-free and at peace:)

Post a Comment