Monday, November 9, 2015

Richmond Marathon Training Part 4 (aka TAPER CRAZIES)

Ya'll...it's race week! I am 5 days away from Marathon #2!!! I am PUMPED.

The last few weeks (of taper) have been a great and awful part of training...you are excited about lower mileage and more rest/sleep, but you begin to doubt that you can actually hit the higher mileage again. I have had a lot of good runs during taper that were at marathon goal pace (9:10), but the doubt is still very much present. Can I hold that after 20 miles?!

To make myself feel pumped/capable/emotional, I have been reading blogs of people's Richmond Race Recaps and looking at various other training plans to not feel so crazy about my taper:) This good news is I FEEL good. I just want Saturday to be here!

That being said I have three goals for race day:

1. Finish (-> obviously a marathon is no joke any time you run it)
2. PR (4:08:52 was my Shamrock finish time)
3. Sub-4:00 (!!!)
(^I think if the stars align this is very doable based on my training runs as long as I can hold my pace for the last 6.2 miles)

Good quote to keep in mind:)

Anyways, here is my running during the taper!

October 26- November 1 (Week 16)
Mon- Rest
Tues- 5 miles
Wed- 8 miles
Thurs- 4.1 miles
Fri- Rest
Sat- 12 miles -> this run was exactly at marathon goal pace and I had negtive splits
Sun- Elliptical
Total: 29.1 miles

November 2- 9 (Week 17)
Mon- 4.05 miles
Tues- 6.1 miles
Wed- Elliptical
Thurs- 3.85 miles
Fri- Rest
Sat- 8 miles
Sun- 4.2 miles
Total: 26.2 miles (see what I did here?)

November 10- 15 (Week 18/RACE WEEK!)
Mon- 3.5 miles
Tues- Rest
Wed- 3 miles (planned)
Thurs- 3 miles (planned-> I may rest again and do a shake out on Friday instead)
Fri- Rest
Sat- RICHMOND MARATHON!!!!!!!!!!!
Sun-  Rest...like a boss
Total: 35.7 if I run my tangents well:)

Good luck to all the Richmond Marathon/Half Marathon runners!!!

Post a Comment