Monday, June 14, 2010

The Job Process

So this is the first time I have really been able to talk about applying and interviewing for jobs. It, blatantly enough, has been rough. Last week from Monday to Wednesday, if anyone even mentioned jobs to me, I would burst into tears. I cried myself to sleep most nights. I was not feeling optimistic.

The end of last week was better (partly because of my birthday, seeing/talking to friends, and just being busier) and now I am feeling better about it all. Still, it has been a hard few weeks.

To summarize what has happened, I applied to Loudoun, Fairfax and Chesterfield Counties in January. I had a screening interview each for Loudoun and Fairfax in February. In April, I screened for Chesterfield, and in May I interviewed for 4 different positions in Chesterfield (a high school, a middle school and 2 elementary positions). I didn't get any and on the day I found out I didn't get the latter 2, I found out Chesterfield had filled every counseling opening. That was why last week was not a good week. I wasn't crazy about any of the jobs I interviewed for, but a job is a job and 2 of them were at schools I interned at! I mean, come on!

So what to do now? Well, in the last week I applied to Hanover and Richmond city schools and sent my resume and cover letter out to one specific high school in Loudoun and 5 schools in Fairfax. Fairfax and Loudoun are doing their hiring starting in July, so I will hear about those interviews probably in late July or August. I have no idea what RIchmond City's time frame is and Hanover is continually hiring as needed. Chesterfield is filled as of now, but as unexpected openings become available they will interview.

Needless to say, this will be a long summer. I have no idea how many interviews I will get in Loudoun or Fairfax since I have no connections, but it will be harder to interview there because I will have to travel. So I might have to call schools to get interviews on the same days. I also will be out of the country for 11 days in July, so I am hoping no interviews will occur during that time frame. It is very likely though that I could get a job last minute and have to do a quick move with little time to prepare.

If I don't get any jobs by the time school starts (the day after Labor Day), I have the option of long-term subbing in Chesterfield for women on maternity leave (there are a few lined up) or look for jobs in other fields. I am very torn and my position on this subject may change as the summer goes on. I can either wait around for a year, long-term subbing, volunteering and gaining experience while working at Brio, or I can completely change my job desire and try to find any type of full-time employment. As of now, waiting around for another year is not desirable. I want to move out of my parents house, get my own place, and be more independent. I feel that if I have to wait around for subbing jobs, I will be stuck in a rut. I could just bite the bullet and more out anyways, using my savings to pay rent, but I hate to waste my hard earned money like that. I am lucky that I have come out of grad school out of debt, but if I can't get a job in what I went to school for, it all seems a waste.

This summer is going to be long and full of anxiety. I have already dropped about 10 pounds from a combination of a stomach bug and all my anxiety/nerves. I am worried I won't be able to enjoy my trip to Italy because of my job uncertainty and I am just always so anxious that I can't enjoy myself.

The only good thing to come from all this is I am getting a lot of interview practice and have learned what to say and elaborate on and how to sell myself better than if I had just gotten my first interview. I also will really appreciate GETTING a job, whereas if I had just gotten one right away, I may have not been as excited or as appreciative of it. It really is true that to really enjoy the highs in life you need to experience the lows. I am at a low right now and am just waiting and hoping for that high that I will TREMENDOUSLY appreciate:).
Post a Comment