Thursday, September 16, 2010

When did sleeping go out of style?

So I read this fabulous article today about how sleeping has somehow gone out of style. People judge people who need a lot of sleep. It likened the silliness of the matter to a bathroom analogy- "You go to the bathroom how many times a day?! I just don't have time to use the toilet!" Sleeping is just as important as eating and letting your body run it's natural functions, yet people don't do it and judge those who do. For instance, I always need 8 hours (at least) a night. Why? Because I am happier, more energized, make better health decisions (in regards to eating and exercise), do better at work, and am a nicer person to be around. I am not a happy person when I am sleepy, so I make a conscious effort to get a good amount of sleep. When people hear that I HAVE to get that much sleep, they either think I'm lazy, no fun, or don't do anything with my time. So basically I am negatively judged because I need sleep, especially by people my age who would rather go out and not worry about the consequences of no sleep. I am sorry,  I enjoy my sleep- I do no live by the mantra of "you can sleep when you're dead." I enjoy my sleeping, so why would I put it off for decades? It makes my life better now. Sorry.

My favorite part of the article was how it quoted Martha Stewart as saying basically that people who sleep have no interest in life or do not do anything worthwhile because, "why would I sleep when I have so many interests and passions?" Ummm, maybe because you could work for your passions and interests better when you're not in a daze from no sleep? Call ME crazy!

Now, I completely understand that some people function just fine on 4-6 hours, and actually wake up wide awake after getting that much sleep. Great for them. But the 90% rest of the population who do not get enough sleep simply because they are too busy, and therefore lagging in their day, I say don't judge those who are able to get enough sleep. I am quite happy being rested and going to bed early. I know I won't be able to do it my whole life, but I think sleep is just as important as eating right and going to the doctor. It helps your immune system, your alertness, your energy and your productivity. Seems like something worthwhile to me...



Especially with the comfort of a kitty:).
Post a Comment