Friday, February 18, 2011

Heat ~W~A~V~E~!

For those of you who don’t live in Central Virginia, it has been absolutely GORGEOUS this week. Highs have been in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s for the past 5 days. It has made this week so much better than last week. It always amazes me the power that weather has on my mood. The smell of spring, the sunny skies, the light chirping of birds and the ability to walk outside with nothing more than a light jacket is enough to make even the worst day more bearable. It helps with my 10k training because I actually want to run, and it always makes me want to read more because I can sit outside on our back concrete “slab” with a nice drink and my shades and enjoy a little escape. It even has gotten me excited about assistant coaching soccer, which I was not as excited about the past few weeks with the dreary, cold days, fearing I would have to brave the elements for weeks and weeks more. Now I am pumped (well, almost) about spending 2 afternoons a week outside playing or watching soccer. I know 2 afternoons of practice or games is not a big deal, but I am having a hard time getting really excited about it. I blame that on the fact that since the beginning of January we’ve been doing conditioning which isn’t fun to do or watch. Now we can actually work with balls and goals! Wooo!

Yesterday I ducked out of work right at 2:30 (when my contractual hours end) and went to one of the outdoor malls in the area- Stony Point. I walked around and shopped and then got dinner with a friend at Brio, where I used to work. We ate and drank WAY too much for a Thursday night, but it was so fun and enjoyable because of the weather and the fact that it was Thursday. I am especially excited about today- I get to run when I get off work in 70 degree heat AND I am going up to Charlottesville tomorrow for the UVA/Virginia Tech basketball game. I unfortunately have to drive up alone because my friends going from the Richmond area have to leave right after the game, but I am going to stay and meet up with college friends and enjoy the weather! It won’t be as warm as today, but still a delightful day for February. I hope to also utilize this great weather by going to Maymont on Sunday (a local park with great gardens and animals and trails) and outlet shopping on Monday. This is a much needed 3 day weekend!

Also, I made a comment last fall about how I can’t cook. Well maybe it’s the longer days and warmer temps, or maybe I want a new hobby, but my roommate has been inspiring me to cook. So last weekend I bought ingredients I modeled after a delicious meal she made one night and made myself a quite healthy and tasty dish of shrimp, veggies and brown rice. Not a difficult meal, but it involved pealing shrimp, using a wok (I am totally buying one for myself) and a stove- I didn’t even use a microwave! That’s what I call cooking! I am trying to go out less and cook more this spring- it’s healthier, saves money and could possibly maybe somehow be kinda sorta fun.
Post a Comment