Saturday, January 10, 2015

Wild

I saw "Wild" this weekend. I never read the book but had an idea about what it was about. This is not a review, but some parts of the movie stuck with me because it is one of those movies that gets you thinking! First, it slightly made me want to hike more, but not quite the Pacific Coast Trail (PCT). Maybe the Appalachian Trail in certain areas (which I have done, but only up a mountain and it was probably one of the hardest things I have ever done). Anyways, the gist of this movie is that the woman has a lot of demons to work through related to her childhood, her mom's death, cheating on her husband, doing drugs and basically losing her way. This hike was a way for her to find herself. She went through the desert heat and mountains of cold and snow and made it to the end. Obviously, she learns some lessons along the way.

Some great quotes from the book that are included in the movie for you to ponder (and are related to some of my previous posts):

"What if I forgave myself? I thought. What if I forgave myself even though I'd done something I shouldn't have? What if I was a liar and a cheat and there was no excuse for what I'd done other than because it was what I wanted and needed to do? What if I was sorry, but if I could go back in time I wouldn't do anything differently than I had done? What if I'd actually wanted to f*** every one of those men? What if heroin taught me something? What if yes was the right answer instead of no? What if what made me do all those things everyone thought I shouldn't have done was what also had got me here? What if I was never redeemed? What if I already was?"

And my personal favorite:


"It was all unknown to me then, as I sat on that white bench on the day I finished my hike. Everything except the fact that I didn't have to know. That it was enough to trust that what I'd done was true. To understand its meaning without yet being able to say precisely what it was... To believe that I didn't need to reach with my bare hands anymore. To know that seeing the fish beneath the surface of the water was enough. That it was everything. It was my life - like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me.


How wild it was, to let it be."

I think both these quotes get to the heart of what the movie (and book) are about: that your mistakes, your weaknesses, your misdirections all led you to where you are now. We are who we are because of where we've come from. We are never perfect and don't always make the best decisions, but the true strength of the human spirit is to forgive yourself and let yourself be you. Just make sure you are always growing and learning. I try to keep this in mind daily as I encounter new decisions and question my life path! I always examine myself to make sure I am doing what makes me happy this moment. Because this moment is your life.

I promise I am not doing these "deep" posts because I am in a bad place- quite the contrary, life is very good:)

Has anyone seen or read "Wild?" If so, what did you think and take away from it? I should probably read the book now!
Post a Comment