Thursday, October 2, 2014

Racing Updates

I haven't talked about my running much lately because it is now such a normal part of my life that I don't feel the need to report much. I am still running 15-25 miles a week, which usually amounts to 4-5 days with a day or two of cross training mixed in, and am doing ab and/or strength work (mainly push ups, squats, lunges and tricep dips) every night. I am not currently registered for any races and have really enjoyed NOT training for anything the past 5 months. I basically run when I feel like it for however long works in my schedule. It is nice! I have joined in on some long marathon training runs with my friends who are training for races (I did a 9 mile run about 3 weeks ago), and I can still do the distance but I don't feel the need to do it all the time. My energy is good, I feel fit and I am not feeling like I need to rearrange my life to fit the runs in. It's great!

That being said, I may still do the half marathon in Richmond in November, but I will register last minute (like I did last year when I registered only 3 weeks out!) if I feel like doing it. My issue with races is you have to register SO EARLY for them to get a good deal, but then you don't always feel like training for them or you don't feel good in the weeks leading up to the race. I get why races have the lower rates early on, but it does make it harder for me to register last-minute. I go through so many cycles of feeling GREAT and then struggling to run, that it stinks to have a race coming up when you just don't feel like it! Anyways, we'll see about the half and then I will have to wait on the Turkey Trot 10k I normally do on Thanksgiving, because it looks like we'll be out of town this year. I may try to find a local race once we know what city in Ohio we will be in:)

Something I also don't mention much on here is how I FEEL during runs. I am going to be honest: oftentimes I don't feel great running, especially the first few miles. I usually hit my stride AFTER 3 miles, but some days that is when my run has to end! I have enjoyed switching my runs to the evenings now that it is cooling down (sleeping in until 6:15 is such a treat after months of getting up at 5:30!), because I have more time to run as long as I feel like. This usually puts me somewhere between 4 and 5 miles, so I can get into a good rhythm. On Saturdays I try to pick that up to 6 or more miles, but it really just depends on how I feel and if I am joining in on a training run!

I will tell you that I do not regret AT ALL not signing up for the marathon this fall. Maybe since I am back in school and in a new job, but I feel fulfilled in ways that running isn't needed:) I find that I get more obsessed with running when other parts of my life aren't going as well, so it is a good sign I have other outlets and hobbies to keep me going, and I can still enjoy my running in less doses:)
Post a Comment